Friday, February 15, 2008

I know nothing about knitting

You know, here I was, cruising along, I'm on Ravelry, I have a bit of a blog (not much to speak of), I've got two sets of socks going, one on two circs, one on bamboo DPN's, I've got to rip the first set back so I can modify the pattern to fit a friend's foot a bit better...in short, I am a Knitter. Not making garter stitch scarves, nope not me. In fact, I am now making a blanket that is my Own Pattern. And I think it is going to be quite lovely. I'm not even minding the miles of garter stitch, it's very satisfying.


I went to the library today (Max had ANOTHER day off school....I'm positive I didn't have this kind of time at home with my mom when I was 12) to pick up a few books on patterns, get some ideas for the edging of this blanket, and for the stash that is, if I do say so myself, getting quite nicely stocked, thank you. I even have sock yarn. And laceweight. Even thick/thin and tweed.


Then I got to the knitting aisle (with my baby in her handknit pants and hat (really need to photograph this one) and pored over a few books. I opened, then quickly shut, a latvian knitting book...the charts...omg...two colours...I was momentarily stunned at my incompetence. I've done a bit of intarsia, but frankly it looked like ass - ok it was not that horrible but it was a pain in the ass, that's for sure - I didn't really enjoy it. I felt so bad and incompetent and my stash seemed so inadequate.


Then, to make matter worse, I found the Mason Dixon knitting book. How is it possible that I am a Knitter, I read the Yarn Harlot religiously (I'm even reading the archives and have one of her books, and I read Stitch 'n' Bitch and Domiknitrx. I had heard of Mason Dixon knitting when I saw a few patterns on Ravelry. But Mason Dixon sounded weird, like it would be old fashioned - I don't know, Mason Dixon seems like a historical reference for me, and I don't like it, likely because I don't know the significance. I'm kind of wondering, 'why didn't they tell me? why didn't I know how great this is?'

Anyway, needless to say, I had no idea it was so cool, fascinating, funny, and useful. And that I just found it on the shelf, I didn't have to put it on hold or anything. Check it out

These things amuse me. And I need amusing, I've got to leave Monday for Flin Flon 3 day hearing, which screws up my schedule with the big kids, and really disappointed both of them. I hate disappointing them, but this case is a great opportunity. And here I am blogging about it instead of working on it, or the other 10 really pressing matters on my desk. Ok I feel guitly now. Back to work. I'm on the midnight shift since Katja is so busy during the day that pretty much nothing gets done.

Katja has been so goofy lately, as she grows up her sense of humour really comes out. She just does the funniest things, hopefully the photos gave you an idea as to what our days are like.

The telephone in the closeup is my office line.

The nanny starts next Friday.

No comments: