Tuesday, July 7, 2009

lying to my kids

Recently a discussion took place on one of the forums I frequent. The original poster (op) mused about lying to kids and said she's pretty honest.

Some of the responses astonished me. Some people said 'I never ever lie to my kids, and how can you expect them to be honest if you lie and it's disrespectful etc.

Ok seriously? I lie to my kids all the time. All. The. Time. Like Caillou is still asleep.Of course I would love to read you this book for the thousandth time. Mama will be back in 2 minutes, just lie in bed and wait for me. Caillou is broken. Your going potty thrills me. I am so interested in playing play-doh.

And the lies I tell my husband, don't get me started. Yes, I sure appreciate the one time in our entire marriage that you vacuumed without my having to ask. Of course I don't mind going to your work an hour out of town with two kids in tow to help you out. Can we have sex? I want it SO bad. I love my crap minivan and of course I don't wish you made more money so I could trade it in.

But really, are these really harmful? I'm sure hoping they aren't. Because life is going to get a lot more complicated if I have to stop.

No comments: