Friday, July 17, 2009

Errands. Insert silent scream here.

One thing that kills me in this whole 'mom' job description is errands. I just don't feel like I have a handle on this task. I blame the two year old. She makes every excursion such an utter pain in the ass that I just can't stand doing errands any more. Add the baby in her enormous lead-lined (or at least it seems that way) carseat, and I'm exhausted just thinking of it.

Katja is now too big to go in the cart, according to her. If she does go in, she typically lasts 15 minutes before she starts grabbing stuff or freaking out to get down. She takes her shoes off Every. Time. We. Get. In. The. Car. So on an average day with 3 errands, let's say, I have to get her shoes on her five times. And have to put her in her carseat 4 times. And she usually fights me at least 2-3 out of those times.

She usually has to go potty at least once during our errands. This is always a total gong show, with me holding the baby, my purse, and trying to get her not to pee all over herself. Then finding a way to wash hands again with baby in mei tai and toddler needing help. OMG.

My favourite is when she pees, then I decide I'd better pee too while I'm at it, and she chooses that moment to demonstrate her new skill - unlocking stall doors, while I say nonononono wait wait (all in French, that's what we speak..which reminds me, how do you say "pain in the ass" in French? Just curious). Then she bolts while I finish up. Joy.

Then there's the baby - option 1 - carseat, which weighs 300 pounds (ok that''s approximate) and put it in the cart. Disadvantage - baby stuck in carseat all bloody morning, baby gets hot, I so damned short (5'1") that I can't see over carseat in cart and bump into stuff. Option 2 - carseat in stroller, all the disadvantages other than lien of vision; less storage, plus stroller has to be taken out of car, assembled, and put back in car after. No toddler option either. Option 3 - baby in mei tai - makes toddler wrangling challenging and makes me look like such a MOM.

Then there's the other stuff toddler does. Demanding candy. Grabbing peppers and eating them before I pay. Seeing a 5 dollar plastic crap toy and being mesmerized by it for 15 minutes to the point where I have to bribe her to get her away from it. Running amok in the parking lot. Grabbing sunglasses Every. Single. Time. We. See. Them.

Another favourite is trying to climb into the cart at the butcher's - we go to this natural butcher shop (incredibly far from home - it's a 40 minute round trip but it's the only place with naturally raised humane society certified meat, so "we" - meaning "I" go there). The carts are ancient and greasy. So of course Katja loves to climb into the cart from below, usually when my back is turned, becoming either filthy or completely stuck (resulting in shrieking). Joy.

One of the challenges of a big family is food. But that's for another post.

It's a good thing they're cute. HEre they are with new hair bows from Etsy - can't remember the name of the seller, but I love them.

















No comments: