Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Busy!

I've been dying to update, there just never seems to be the time. Katja's having a nap, but I should be doing about 30 things besides this. So this is a quickie.


Reason I'm busy #1 - I have a couple of upcoming trials, and they're both screwed up in some way. The first one should be resolved, but the Crown is in Thompson and hasn't gotten back to me. The second one is apparently scheduled for the wrong day, adn I don't know how to deal with that.


Knitting - I'm doing a baby dress for Katja - it's from Drops Design. I'm using Sirdar Baby Bamboo, and it's beautiful, but as I said on Ravelry, I'm intimidated. Basically I'm only allowing myself to knit this for the next 3 weeks.


Update #1 - The skirt is now done, as well as the waistband, and I have about 10 centimetres of the back finished. This yarn is dreamy to knit with, it's so soft and springy, and doesn't fall apart like cotton does. The dress is quite hevy, it will probably weigh about a pound when it's finished, but the drape is lovely. I'm feeling better about the pattern now, too.


Max took the bus to school today, which is a pretty big milestone. It will save me about 45 minutes a day to have him do this, which is really nice.


New pics - Katja's getting so big, here she is in a pair of longies I made using a picky pants derived pattern, it's got a crotch gusset but beyond that everything is cobbled together from other patterns I've done, and here is the result - I've added extra short rows and reduced the rise in hopes these will stay up, and I've changed the waistband, eliminating ribbing below the eyelet row. I used a ruffle finish from the sheepy pants pattern, but I will modify it next time to reduce the ruffle's length, this is a big unweildy for a crawling baby.


And finally a photo of the outfit Memere made for Max almost 12 years ago. She would have been 85 at the time, and her eyesight was really starting to go, so I imagine knitting this in white with tiny needles and doing a fair isle yoke would have been a challenge to say the least. I really miss her, I wish I could tell her "I get it! I get how much you loved me!".


No comments: