Saturday, October 6, 2007

Moving right along....

The baby dress is really fun to knit, and I would say a good introduction to charts and a somewhat more complex pattern.

The entire body is now done, it took me about 3 hours in total to do the two front pieces (with a false start on the second piece, which I started knitting inside out....honestly, how long do I need to be knitting for before I stop making these idiotic mistakes?).

I did the seaming up today while playing dominoes with the kids after supper (bad mom moment, but the baptism is the 21st....of this month...and apparently it's already the 6th. Oops, the 7th). I did up the shoulders and the waist because of the way I want to do the sleeves.

I started the first sleeve, and I'll have to try it on baby to see if I like it. I decided to pick up stitches and knit it from the top down instead of the bottom up, because I hate seaming that much, especially sleeves. The last one I did was disastrous.

I just realized the pattern as written calls for a gusset type thingamajobby at the underarm, but I'm going to knit it up without (mainly because I couldn't visualize how the gusset would work, but of course NOW it's coming to me that I would just...well, no matter, I'm committed at this point).

I'm stalled now, just trying to figure out if I want to do the cuff that the pattern calls for, or if I want do so something a bit fancier and skip the crochet.

And I just realized yesterday the crochet finishing is kind of mandatory. The dress will really look ordinary if I don't do it. Oh well, what's a fourth trip to the yarn store for the one project really going to matter at this point?

Pics tomorrow. Yawn. Katja doesn't realize all the work mommy is doing on her dress late at night, and has decided to wake hourly recently. The joy of mother-daughter bonding at 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 am is beginning to wear off.

No comments: