Monday, October 8, 2007

oh crud

Another boo-boo detected in the baptism dress. I screwed up the chart on the skirt, making the eyelets on the dress 5 rows apart instead of 4 - I thought I was off, but by the team I'd realized it I was about 10 cm into the skirt. At 240 stitches per row, and 32 -ish rows at that point, I was

Let's see - frog and re-knit approx 7680 stitches of this pattern, plus finish the dress, sleeves, bonnet and socks. By October 21. Riiiiight. So I just went to the land of knitterly denial and kept on knitting. My denial is so deep (or I am so pooped) that I forgot all about my little self-deception until I was 89 stitches * 17 rows = 1513 stitches into the cap. After having already frogged once for a really dumb mistake.

I am leaving it. My knitterly mind tells me no one will notice the lace on the cap doesn't match the pattern on the skirt, or they will think the down-sizing is intentional.

The sleeve is completely modified - I knit from the shoulder down because I wanted to do a fancier cuff - I did this ruffled cuff for a more 'special occasion' kind of look. I might frog and re-knit after the baptism, or even before if I have enough knitting time left.

I have been weaving in ends as I go, too, which I've never done before, but let's face it, my hardest pattern has been picky pants which have precisely 4 ends to weave in provided you have a big enough skien. Maybe 6 ends. This dress had 6 ends in the first 10 cm- Lots of knots in the yarn itself (disappointing considering skein length is 50y) and lots of balls of yarn (I've used 4 thus far), plus four seams for waist and collar, ugh, that's a lot of ends.

But so far so good. I got oohs and aahs from my family today, and my daughter when looking at it exclaimed, "wow, that looks just like the picture!" in true and utter amazement.

I have decided since I've been so single-minded on this task, and may even finish early, I get to knit my next project for myself. ME. I haven't knit myself a single thing! I think I would like to do a fun long skinny scarf, or something lacy to wrap a few times around my neck. Or my first socks. Or all three!

Max wants socks, so I'll probably do the first socks for him. He won't mind if they don't fit, the love.

Off to Ravelry to queue some projects!

xoxox

No comments: